Pre-Planning: February Script Frenzy Tag-Team Throwdown

I have done a terrible thing.

More accurately, I've committed to a terrible thing.

I have allowed myself to be drawn into a cooperative writing event, somewhat mimicking Script Frenzy which used to be administered by NaNoWriMo in April – but since they're not running it, I can do it anytime I want to.


The overall idea is to write a 90 to 120-page script (screenplay, that is) in a month and share it with the world. But that's boring. I could do that any day. Here's the spice: in this case, I will be tagging out on writing scenes and short sequences with at least one other writer. (Poor +Eric Thompson .) That's right, I have deliberately gamified the idea of writing a script.

My companion writer has specified that he wishes to pursue this idea of wainscot sci-fi, but we are deliberately leaving vague specific elements and how they will play – because neither of us should know going in. Instead, whenever our scene/sequence comes up, we will be responsible for tying in elements introduced in at least two other scenes.

Oh, did I mention that there was absolutely no requirement that the scenes be written in order?

That's right, I have essentially decided to hybridize Microscope and screenwriting, just for my own amusement.

The actual tools being used to write the script and how best to present it to the public in an ongoing way (because there was no way I was going to work on this in secret) is still up in the air. There are actually a fair number of online screenwriting tools, all of which have moved to some sort of collaborative development but I haven't decided whether or not any of them should be used.

In the meantime, think about how you might pursue this sort of project/game with your friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5150: Free Trader Beowulf

[POLITICS] Social Deduction Games and the Erosion of Political Trust

[5150] The Hungry: Combined Arms Free Company Mercenaries and Extended Rules For Cross-THW-5150-System Integration